Friday, August 3, 2007

Snake-Gourd / Potlakaya Curry with Coconut


Earlier I never supposed to eat snake gourd. By looking at that vegetable itself we (my sister and I) used to feel and judge that that will not be good at taste. Once we got some guests. I prepared both rice and chapathi. For chapathi, I prepared this snake gourd curry as side dish. Only one was left over. I thought of finishing than trashing it off. Then I felt bad that there was no other chapathi. Really, the combination was good. Slowly I started taking that curry with rice also.

Learnt From:

I learnt this curry from my Mom.

Ingredients:

Snake Gourd --- 2 medium size
Oil --- 3 Tea spoons
Coconut --- 2 Table Spoons (Shredded)
Oil --- 3 Tea spoons

For Seasoning :
Urud Dal --- 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds --- 1 tea spoon
Cumin seeds --- ½ tea spoon
Whole Red Chilies --- 2 chopped
Curry Leaves --- 5 no.s

Process:

Peel skin of the snake gourd.
Remove the inner stuff of the snake gourd.
Chop them into small pieces.

Heat 3 tea spoons of oil in a deep pan.
Add the seasoning one by one like… urud dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds & red chilies.
Add Curry leaves too.
Fry them for a while.
Add chopped snake-gourd.


Add pinch of turmeric powder and enough salt into it.
Stir them up uniformly.
Keep the heat in ‘Medium low’ or sim.
Cover the pan with lid.


It cooks with the water which comes from the vapor… No need to add water.
Stir it up occasionally.
Cook it well…you can test it by taking one or two pieces and press with the finger… if you feel it tender or cooked.
Remove the lid.
Add shredded or grinded coconut into the pan.
Cook it for 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from heat.
There finishes the snake-gourd curry.



Ø Can take it with Chapathi or Rice… Either is good.

1 comment:

Hi, Thank You for going through my blog and taking time to leave your response.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

My Other Blogs & Their Recent Posts