Thursday, August 2, 2007

Cabbage Tomato Dal

Short story about this Dal:

Earlier I never used to eat this dal. Once when was small I got fever. My parents were very stright at diet. My mom used to give only liquids and idly. Actually I want to eat much more. My tongue becomes tasteless and needs some spicyness to it. When nobody was in kitchen I went and saw the dishes... I found this one. I have tasted it. I felt that was good only. From that time onwards I started eating this dal.

Learnt From:

I know this dal from my mom. But a made a minor changes to it according to my taste.

Serving:

This is to serve for 2-4 people.

Ingredients:

Dal --- ½ Cup
Water --- 1 ½ cups
Cabbage --- ¼ large cabbage (Chopped)
Tomatoes --- 2 medium size (Chopped)
Onion --- ¼ large onion (Chopped)
Green Chilies --- 3 medium size (Chopped)
Turmeric powder --- a pinch
Tamarind --- 5-6 cloves
Cilantro / Coriander Leaves
Salt --- as per taste



For Seasoning:

Oil --- 2 tea spoons
Garlic --- 2
Urud dal --- 1 tea spoon
Mustard seeds --- 1 tea spoon
Cumin seeds --- ½ tea spoon
Dry Red chilly --- ½
Curry Leaves --- 5-6


Process:

Take a pressure cooker.
Clean dal twice with water.
Add 3 times of water to the dal.
Add pinch of Turmeric powder.
Chop green chilies, tomato, onion & cabbage.
Add chopped green chilies, onion, tomato & cabbage.
Add Tamarind 5-6 pieces.
Mix all of them with bear hand.
Keep it on Medium-High for 8 whistles.
Wait for 15 minutes.
In the meanwhile, chop garlic into pieces.
Open the cooker and mix uniformly by pressing the dal.
Add salt as per taste.
Heat oil in a pan.
Fry chopped Garlic.
Add all the seasoning one by one like … urud dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chilly.
Add all the seasoning and garlic into the cooker.
Again keep the cooker on the stove for 7-8 minutes.
Remove the cooker from heat.
Add Cilantro and mix uniformly.
Transfer the cabbage dal into serving dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Thank You for going through my blog and taking time to leave your response.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

My Other Blogs & Their Recent Posts