Recipe: From Charu.
Makes: 19 Bondas.
- Pakora / Pakora Batter (bit thicker than that)
- Potatoes --- 4 big
- Green Chilies --- 5-6 small
- Onions --- ½ of the big one
- Salt --- as per taste
- Turmeric Powder --- a pinch
- Coriander Leaves --- 10-15 strands
- Lime --- ½ of the big one
- Oil --- 2 tblsn
- Mustard Seeds --- 1 tsp
- Peel and chop potatoes into cubes and cook them in salted water for 3 whistles by adding a pinch of turmeric powder. Wait till the pressure goes away. Drain the water by using colander.
- In the mean while, mix pakora batter but make slightly thicker than that.
- Heat 2 tblsn of oil in a pan.
- Add a tsp of mustard seeds and let them pop nicely.
- Add finely chopped green chilies and fry for a while.
- Now add chopped onions. Fry till the onions turn to translucent.
- Add potatoes and mash them with a ladle. Adjust salt.
- Just before turning off the flame add lime juice and chopped coriander leaves.
- Let it cool.
- Make small round balls with the potato filling.
- Heat oil in a steel pan for deep frying the bondas.
- When the oil is at right hot, dip the potato balls in the pakora batter and drop them gently into the hot oil.
- Fry them till they are golden brown. Remove them and keep them on a paper towel to remove the excess oil. Even though they are deep fried they take very less oil.
- Have / Serve them when they're hot.